The BEST Seasoning for Prep (and just life!)
After competing a half dozen times, and always trying to live a healthy lifestyle... I've found some amazing little tricks to make eating to your goals a JOY instead of a pain. I've decided to start sharing these in a blog series called "AmandaLouise - Recipe Tips". If you have a great find that you'd like to share... let us know! We'd love to have you guest blog and share your yummy tricks with the AmandaLouise community. This first Recipe Tip is my all time favorite blackening seasoning. It is part of Chef Paul Prudehomme's Magic Seasoning Blends, specifically the "Blackened Redfish Magic." I was first introduced to this seasoning by my sister-in-law. She is a le cordon bleu chef, and catering director. I was eating at the restaurant she works at and about DIED when I tried their blackened halibut. I immediately asked her for the recipe of the seasoning, and she brought me home a container of the Blackened Redfish Magic. THIS STUFF IS SO GOOD! It's only a TINY bit spicy, I mean, I am full blown white girl on the spicy meter and I am obsessed with this stuff. We literally put it on everything. During prep, it's a LIFESAVER! You can buy it on Amazon (that image of the seasoning is a link to the larger container with PRIME shipping available... or click HERE for a smaller 2oz bottle.)
I've used this seasoning on chicken breasts, where I pay fry a chicken boob in a little coconut oil using just this seasoning for extra flavor. I've used it on grilled shrimp. I've used it on steaks, and even on chicken in my crockpot! I have not had a bad experience with it yet. Move over Flavor God... this stuff is for real. (Yes, this contains salt)
My FAVORITE way to use this seasoning is on Tilapia... the most famous of fishes among our #preplife community. During prep, I'll make a 4oz blackened tilapia filet (recipe below) and make HUGE salad with it. My favorite low-cal dressing will be featured in the next AmandaLouise Recipe Tip blog!
Amanda's Favorite Tilapia
NOTE: I buy the frozen tilapia fillets from Costco. I like them because they are individually shrink wrapped so they don't get freezer burn. You can easily do this with fresh tilapia, just change the cooking times to 3min each flip instead of 5.
Blackened Redfish Magic Seasoning
Lemon Juice (Optional)
- Pre-heat oven to BROIL and make sure your oven rack is at the highest available rack position
- Line a cookie sheet with foil, and spray with non-stick spray
- If using the frozen filets from Costco, simply run the plastic package of fish under room temp water for to a few seconds to get the plastic wrapping to separate from the fish.
- place the frozen fish on the cookie sheet and sprinkle with seasoning. (I'm pretty liberal with the amount I put on... basically cover the entire top of the fish filet)
- Place in oven and cook for 5min
- Remove from oven, flip fish over, and sprinkle this side with the seasoning.
- Place back in oven and cook 5min
- Remove from oven and flip one more time. If I have it on hand, I will squeeze a little lemon juice on at this point
- Back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- IT'S DONE!
Leave a comment below on how you like the seasoning, and make sure to snap a pic, tag us (@amandalouiseswimwear) and use hashtag #AmandaLouiseRecipes for your chance to be featured on our page! We would LOVE to see you using our Recipe Tips during your next meal prep.
Until next time...
Love & Sunshine,